Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We're all winners!

This is a tough question to answer because I was focusing so hard on making my own point and backing up my position that I could barely evaluate my classmates’ debate tactics. In a debate I always find it necessary to convince myself that my position is the most correct, therefore it’s difficult for me to say that anyone else’s argument really swayed me from my opinion as a representative of the Sierra Club. Regardless of this, I will try to answer the question at hand… everyone had a great case!
The consumers were very intense that their position was correct and thus tried very hard to persuade the Sierra Club in the caucus period. Their passion and confidence was wonderful! However, it was not enough to change our beliefs.
The United Auto Workers were in the same position as my group and I particularly agreed with them when they were discussing the poor ethics of outsourcing labor to places with lower standards. I didn’t sense as much enthusiasm from this group though.
Foreign Auto Manufacturers had some valid points about how their cars were more fuel efficient which is what my group had originally planned to argue until we researched and found out that the Sierra Club wanted to keep manufacturing here no matter what. I agree that foreign cars are probably better for the consumers, but the argument was where these cars should be made, not how fuel-efficient the cars are in the end result. There’s simply no way that we can know if the environmental standards in the production of these fuel-efficient cars is eco-safe. Whether or not the Kyoto Protocol says that the manufacturing needs to have certain environmental standards, we simply have no control over manufacturing overseas and therefore don’t know if they are following the guidelines. In fact, it is very likely that the environmental standards are not being met (look at how the Kyoto Protocol exempts China from many regulations as one example) since people tend to think of the environment in the aftermath. So Foreign Auto Manufacturers, bring your production plants over here and we’ll be happy!
Although I really really really really REALLY detest declaring superlatives (i.e. the best debate group), if you twist my arm and make me choose I would say the American Auto Manufacturers had the best argument. Perhaps this is because we all knew the president would pick their argument. Perhaps this is because their argument was most “realistic” for our country, which I reluctantly admit. Or perhaps they just did a great job debating! The group seemed to really grasp the full spectrum of their position and the video they made was very clear, informative, and persuasive.
In response to PTJ’s question that he posted on his blog, I would say that the American Auto Manufacturers had the best case. But the consumers had the most passion and therefore I think argued their case the best.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you for your compliments to our group's persuasiveness :). Also, I totally agree...it is so difficult to address the effectiveness of other groups' arguments when you are in debate mode and are constantly trying to think of how you can rebut the other team's points (it definitely leads to a sort of your side centrism if you will).

Rachel said...

also, if the goal was to have the most precious/adorable video (as opposed to an obnoxious RA RA America type video), then yours definitely won hands down.

Emily said...

Hahahaha thanks Rachel, we tried!