Sunday, October 26, 2008

East Coast Firearms

I wanted to use my reflection this week to comment on a website that we looked at on Friday's class. We looked at a website called East Coast Firearms. This website sells high powered assault rifles to ordinary citizens. I find this very frightening for many reasons. It appears than any ordinary person can log on and if they have the money buy one of these weapons. When reading about the buying process there doesn't appear to be any background check or anything to that extent. People seem to be able to fill out the order form and then click on whether they want to pay by credit card or money order. Second, relating to the first item, is that these weapons should only be available to the police or military. There is absolutely no reason that a person would need to buy one of these weapons to defend themselves or for hunting. I'm not trying to go against the 2nd amendment but get a pistol or shotgun to defend yourself, not a semi-automatic weapon. A pistol will do just fine for defense. Also for hunting purposes, a normal hunting rifle will do just fine. No need to pump multiple bullets per minute into a deer, one will do the trick. As I said earlier I'm not trying to get around the second amendment, I support gun ownership but I do support gun control. Even though gun control won't stop guns from being on the market or criminals using them, it will hopefully reduce the threat of criminals using them to perpetrate as many crimes as they do today. I believe that there needs to be more gun control in general and the thought of these types of weapons being sold to ordinary people is completely unacceptable.

No comments: