Monday, September 8, 2008

Reflection on Week 1

At first, I was somewhat worried about Professor Jackson's class particularly on the use of sports as symbols for historical events (since I don't understand anything about sports). Now, I found the classes exciting especially during class discussions. The responses from the students assured me that they were experts in their fields of interest. I also loved the sudden outbursts from the other students particularly Michael when he accidentally fired that Nerf machine gun into one of the groups.

In the fist discussion on world politics, I found the debate very insightful. The use of plumbing as a metaphor reminded me of How Soccer explains the World and how it relates to the manner in which individual groups improve the standards of certain communities and how they eventually gain power.

In the Second debate on whether we should let large nations protect the interests of minor nations, I was annoyed on how the other groups were ignoring my group since we got the nice chairs of the room. I found that this relates to how third world countries and developing nations were gaining more voice in World discussion than the prosperous nations like the US and the European Union. However, I observe the fact that any form of union between certain nations can eventually break up like Yugoslavia did. Overall, the discussions were hectic but they were worth the effort for us to express our opinions.

No comments: