Sunday, November 9, 2008

Reflection on Election 2008

Being in DC for election 2008 was a very fun experience. For one thing this was the first election in which I could vote. And the fact that it was such an historic election made it doubly exciting. And the fact that I was in our nation’s capitol where all of this power on which were voting sits, created even one more layer of enjoyment. On election night, I went to an election party at Meridian International Center on Meridian Hill here in DC where my sister works. I stayed there long enough to hear the results of the election and to watch McCain's speech where he conceded. Then afterwards, my sister and I walked from where she works up to Adams Morgan, which is really close. There, people were yelling out of their apartment windows, honking their horns, and setting off firecrackers. The police had the road blocked off so people could revel in the street. The excitement was contagious.

I consider my-self a moderate, but I'm quite excited about the results of the election - of Barack Obama as our next president - and I hope that he brings change and can boost America’s image in the world. I was a little disappointed when I read a New York Times article on November 6th that said, after two years of campaigning on a certain platform, the aides of president elect Obama are toning down expectations. They said that instead of the usual 100 days times frame for getting items completed, there would be a 1000 day time frame. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06expect.html?_r=1&ei=5070&emc=eta1&oref=slogin). I know this is unrealistic due to the mess this country is in but I was hoping Obama would have a quick fix for this countries problems but like any real issue change will take time. But I'm also excited to see Obama considering reaching across partisan lines for some of his cabinet positions. In a race closer to my home, we had a big Senate race in Maine this year. It was between the incumbent republican Senator Susan Collins and, up until recently our democratic member of the house, Tom Allen. Despite the democratic gains in the House and Senate, this race wasn't close and didn’t go to the democrat. Collins beat Allen by a large margin. One of the reasons I think this happened is that Collins is a very moderate republican. I was very interested to hear that both of Maine's senators, Collins and Snowe are possible considerations for cabinet positions in the new administration.(http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=95561&catid=2) I'm excited and hopeful that the new administration can bring positive change that this country so badly needs right now.

No comments: