Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Better? Yes!

Better better better… hmm how to define this word? I first think of the Beatle’s hit “Hey Jude” when I contemplate what “better” means. They seem to be grappling with what the word means along with Todorov when they repeat it six times at the climax of the song. Poor old Jude needs to “make it better” with a girl; he needs to improve the situation. So in this context, I’d say improvement is implied in the word better.


However, when you go to a playground you would most likely hear this word used in a different way at one point or another. Little Lucy says to Silly Sally, “I’m better than you” and it’s magic! The word “better” suddenly takes on an implication of superiority!


I would prefer to think of the former definition of the word “better” in answering this blog question, even though I realize that the latter is also just as significant (but a little harder to argue). I wholeheartedly and undoubtedly believe that our knowledge has improved, or bettered, since Columbus’ time. I realize that I am a bit biased since I am living in these current times and think that we are pretty darn advanced in our knowledge. However, I would argue that it’s a natural and inevitable thing for the human race to better itself. Just as Columbus’ knowledge was better than that of the cavemen, our knowledge in the 21st century is better than Columbus’ knowledge 500 years ago simply because of time… Time advances our race, we evolve and adapt and it is only expected for us to improve our knowledge. Simply put, we know more now than Columbus or his comrades could have because of time and technological factors.


The argument is the same when you consider the word better to imply condescension. We can’t possibly say that we are smarter than or superior to Columbus because it’s not the human brain that has improved, but the human population. When we say that our knowledge is better, it is not because Columbus as an individual lacked a talented, intelligent mind but as I said before, it is because time and technology have advanced the entire race.


I guess what I’m trying to say is that we, as individuals, do not have a better way of knowing because our minds are just as human as Columbus’. However, humans in general have developed since Columbus discovered America in the 15th century and so I would say that the human race has a better, more improved way of knowing right now in the 21st century. Similarly, I assume (and hope) that in 500 years the human race will have improved knowledge as well. It’s not at all a bad thing – it’s natural progression!

No comments: